Dr. Starzyk has two areas of research interest:
(1) Reactions to injustice: Groups around the world are seeking reparations for harms that happened long ago. Understanding what leads people to respond positively to such requests is important because a failure to deal with past harms may fuel resentment and impair group relations. This is the focus of Dr. Starzyk's research program and while this research is based in a multidisciplinary literature, the questions she addresses are intended to make contributions to theory in Social and Personality Psychology.
(2) Validity of personality judgments: People make judgments of people frequently and depend on these judgments to make both mundane and important decisions. Dr. Starzyk is interested in identifying the factors that affect our ability to accurately understand what other people are like. This is Dr. Starzyk's secondary research interest, but an active component of her research program.
- Ethics and Morality
- Intergroup Relations
- Person Perception
- Personality, Individual Differences
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Personality and Justice Laboratory
- Starzyk, K. B., Fabrigar, L. R., Soryal, A. S., & Fanning, J. J. (2009). A painful reminder: The role of level and salience of attitude importance in cognitive dissonance. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 126-137.
- Starzyk, K. B., Holden, R. R., Fabrigar, L. R., & MacDonald, T. K. (2006). The Personal Acquaintance Measure: A tool for appraising one’s knowledge of and familiarity with any person. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 90, 833-847.
- Starzyk, K. B., & Ross, M. (2008). A tarnished silver lining: Victim suffering and support for reparations. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 34, 366-380.
- Starzyk, K. B., Blatz, C. W., & Ross, M. (2009). Addressing and acknowledging historical injustices. In J. T. Jost, A. C. Kay, & H. Thorisdottir (Eds.), Social and psychological bases of ideology and system justification. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Personality Psychology
- Psychology of Justice and Legitimacy
- Social Psychology I
- Theory and Research in Personality
Katherine B. Starzyk
Department of Psychology
University of Manitoba
190 Dysart Road
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2
- Phone: (204) 474-9276
- Fax: (204) 474-7599